Kentucky Basketball Postgame Notes
Kentucky 74, Puerto Rico National Team Reserves 49
August 10, 2014
Sir Kendal Isaacs Gymnasium
Team Records, Notes:
• This is Kentucky’s second international trip under John Calipari. UK previously visited Canada in the summer of 2010.
• UK was 3-0 under Calipari during the 2010 summer exhibition tour.
• The Wildcats return to action on Monday, Aug. 11 at 1 p.m. ET. UK will take on Champagne Chalons-Reims from France in its second game in the six-game week in the Bahamas.
• Kentucky finished the game with 20 assists and 11 steals.
• Ten players logged at least 15 minutes and scored at least two points.
• UK won the battle of the boards with a 38-31 advantage. Kentucky benefited from 28 defensive rebounds.
• Puerto Rico shot just 33 percent from the floor, while UK shot an impressive 48 percent.
First Half Facts:
• Kentucky used the starting lineup of Devin Booker, Aaron Harrison, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson and Alex Poythress.
• Poythress won the opening tip.
• Puerto Rico scored the game’s first basket.
• UK’s first subs of the contest were the second unit of Dominique Hawkins, Marcus Lee, Karl-Anthony Towns, Tyler Ulis and Derek Willis.
• UK alternated between the lineups with each unit playing around five minutes of game time before turning to the next squad of five.
• Poythress started strong with three quick offensive rebounds.
• Kentucky utilized a 10-2 run to close the half.
• The Wildcats owned a 38-31 lead at the break.
• Aaron Harrison had eight first half points to lead all scorers. Poythress led the squad with four rebounds.
Second Half Facts:
• UK began the second half with Hawkins, Lee, Towns, Ulis and Willis in the lineup. That unit opened the half on a 6-0 run.
• The first three baskets of the stanza were aided by assists.
• Kentucky did not let up with the original starting five stretching the opening run to 16-2.
• UK grabbed its largest lead with 42.1 seconds remaining at 74-49.
• Aaron Harrison again led the scoring with seven second-half points. Lee and Towns both had six and Willis contributed five.
• Devin Booker scored nine points in his first collegiate action.
o Hit the team’s first 3-pointer.
• Aaron Harrison had a game-high 15 points.
o Scored in every way possible with at least one 3-pointer, dunk, jump shot, lay-up and free throw.
• Marcus Lee poured in nine points and added six rebounds.
o Tied several teammates for a team-high two steals.
o Connected on 67 percent of his shots from the field.
• Alex Poythress logged 10 points and added six rebounds.
o Was active on the boards with a squad-high three offensive snags.
• Karl-Anthony Towns scored 10 points and added a team-best seven rebounds.
o Hit both of his free throws.
• Derek Willis had five second half points and added two steals and a pair of assists.
o Ignited the second half rally with an opening backdoor alley-oop dunk from Towns.
• Tyler Ulis dished out a team-high five assists.
o Scored two points.
o Added a pair of steals.